Alma-Tadema, Sir Lawrence
b.Jan. 8, 1836, Dronrijp, Netherlands.
d.June 25, 1912, Wiesbaden, Germany.
Painter and designer of Dutch birth. The son of a notary, Alma-Tadema demonstrated an early artistic ability. In 1852 he entered the Antwerp Academy, where he studied under Gustaf, Baron Wappers, and Nicaise de Keyser. An important influence at this time was Louis De Taye, Professor of Archaeology at the academy and a practising artist. Alma-Tadema lived and worked with De Taye from 1857 to 1859 and was encouraged by him to depict subjects from the early history of France and Belgium. This taste for historical themes increased when Alma-Tadema entered Baron Henri Leys studio in 1859 and began assisting him with his monumental frescoes for the Antwerp Town Hall. While in Leys studio, Alma-Tadema produced several major paintings, for example the Education of the Children of Clovis (1861; ex-Sir John Pender priv. col., see Zimmern, p. 3) and Venantius Fortunatus Reading his Poems to Radagonda (1862; Dordrecht, Dordrechts Mus.), which are characterized by their obscure Merovingian subject-matter, rather sombre colouring and close attention to detail. Related Paintings of Alma-Tadema, Sir Lawrence :. | Comparisons (mk24) | A Dedication to Bacchus (mk23) | The Epps Family Screen (detao) (mk23) | A Colen of Vantage (nn03) | An Apodyterium (mk23) |
Related Artists:Louis-Jean-Francois Lagrenee
French Neoclassical Painter, 1725-1805Jules Arsene Garnier
painted Le Droit du Seigneur in1872Michele da Verona
(Michele di Zenone) (born 1470) was an Italian painter of the Renaissance period.
He was born in Verona, a contemporary of Paolo Morando(Cavazzola), and may have assisted him in the decorative work for San Bernardino there. Inside the portal of San Stefano, Milan, is a large Crucifixion signed by him in 1500, and formerly in the Refectory of San Giorgio, of Verona. The same subject, dated by him in 1505, is in Santa Maria in Vanzo, Padua. In both pictures there is an imitation of the manner of Jacopo Bellini. In the church of Santa Chiara, Verona, are frescoes representing the Eternal, with Angels, Prophets, and the four Evangelists, dated 1509. Frescoes of later dates exist in the churches of Vittoria Nuova and Sant' Anastasia; while in the church of Villa di Villa, near Este, is a Madonna and Child, between SS. John the Baptist, Lawrence, Andrew, and Peter dated 1523.