Alma-Tadema, Sir Lawrence
b.Jan. 8, 1836, Dronrijp, Netherlands.
d.June 25, 1912, Wiesbaden, Germany.
Painter and designer of Dutch birth. The son of a notary, Alma-Tadema demonstrated an early artistic ability. In 1852 he entered the Antwerp Academy, where he studied under Gustaf, Baron Wappers, and Nicaise de Keyser. An important influence at this time was Louis De Taye, Professor of Archaeology at the academy and a practising artist. Alma-Tadema lived and worked with De Taye from 1857 to 1859 and was encouraged by him to depict subjects from the early history of France and Belgium. This taste for historical themes increased when Alma-Tadema entered Baron Henri Leys studio in 1859 and began assisting him with his monumental frescoes for the Antwerp Town Hall. While in Leys studio, Alma-Tadema produced several major paintings, for example the Education of the Children of Clovis (1861; ex-Sir John Pender priv. col., see Zimmern, p. 3) and Venantius Fortunatus Reading his Poems to Radagonda (1862; Dordrecht, Dordrechts Mus.), which are characterized by their obscure Merovingian subject-matter, rather sombre colouring and close attention to detail. Related Paintings of Alma-Tadema, Sir Lawrence :. | Laura Alma-Tadema (mk23) | Portrait of Herbert Thompson (mk23) | Interrupted (mk23) | Roman Wall Painting from Stabiae (mk23) | The Vintage Festival (mk23) |
Related Artists:Anne Baptiste Nivelon
Portrait de Louis de France, dauphin (1729 - 1765) represente tenant des plans militairescampigenVincenzo Chialli
was born at Citte di Castello in 1787. After having learned the rudiments of art in that town, he visited Rome at the age of seventeen years, and became a disciple of Camuccini, whom he afterwards imitated. After leaving Rome he painted religious subjects at Borgo San Sepolcro, Urbino, Pesaro, and Venice, from whence he retraced his steps to Rome; but as the climate did not suit him, he left that city in 1822 and returned to Citta di Castello. He became Director of the School of Painting at Cortona in 1835, and died in 1840.